CSCS Location of Underground Services
Please contact our office to discuss your CSCS training needs.
Phone: 061 422207 Mobile: 087 616 2564
Course Suitable For:
Managers, supervisors and operatives who are required to plan, organise, manage, or undertake work where there is a risk of contact with hazardous underground energy sources or services.
This training is required under the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (Construction) Regulations 2013.
SOLAS CSCS (Construction Sector Certification Scheme) QQI Level 5 certification and identity card for successful applicants
Please contact OSS Training Coordinator for public or individual course fees and availability.
2 Days (theory & site practical) - Delivered by SOLAS registered Instructors
Max 8 participants per course, 8.30am – 4.30pm ( 5 – 8 participants requires 2 tutors)
- Candidate must be at least 18 years of age on the day of the course
- Have a valid safe pass card or Managing Safely in Construction Certificate
- Have previous experience dealing with the location of underground services
- When booking please inform OSS Training Co-Ordinator of any particular learning difficulties
- o Understand the types of services and hazards likely to be encountered when breaking ground
- o Learn to use Cable Avoidance Tools and Signal Generators (CAT AND GENNY) to locate, pinpoint and trace underground services in different modes
- o Understand the practice of "Safe Digging" when undertaking Excavations or Trial holes
- o Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of the subject by practical and written examination
- o Demonstrate ability to safely conduct activities in accordance with legislation and the HSA Code of Practice for "Avoiding Danger from Underground Services"
- o Candidates who successfully complete this course will be trained to undertake Location of Underground Services using a Safe System of work, with primary emphasis on the use of Cable Avoidance Tools and Signal Generators(CAT & GENNY)
- Skills validation session
- Theory test
- Practical test
On completion of the Skills Validation Session, candidates are allowed 45 minutes to undertake a multi-choice question paper.
Questions will be based on the following:
- Legislations and regulations.
- Employer and employee responsibilities
- Types of services
- Associated hazards
- Location procedures
- Safe digging practices
To be successful on the theory test, candidates must achieve a minimum of 70% of the total available marks.
On the practical test the candidate will demonstrate tasks with the cat and genny. The grading sheet is divided into essential items and desirable items. Desirable items allow a limited number of minor errors to be made. To Succeed, the candidate must achieve all essential items and not exceed the maximum score. Candidates who score no marks as well as all the essential items will pass. The practical has a maximum time that all tasks must be completed within 15 minutes.